I had an issue with upgrading IE to version 11 from 9/10. I did a LOT of research on this and came up the solution below.
For Issues installing IE (9, 10, 11).
Look under error logs under C:\Windows
Look in IE9_main.log, IE10_main.log or IE11_main.log
i.e. 15:22.684: ERROR: Couldn't create setup troubleshooting shortcut on the desktop. HRESULT: 0x80070002,
15:22.855: INFO: Setup exit code: 0x00009C59 (40025) - The neutral cab failed to install.
15:23.495: INFO: Scheduling upload to IE SQM server: http://sqm.microsoft.com/sqm/ie/sqmserver.dll
15:23.869: INFO: SQM Upload returned 403
"Neutral package installation failed (exit code = 0x00003715 (14101))"
I performed the 'mklink /D c:\Windows\SysNative c:\Windows\system32' in an elevated Command Prompt. But I had to do a few more bits for it to work for me.
- Run the IE11 installer and wait until it gets to the 'Install Internet Explorer 11' prompt. Do not close this window.!
- Go into 'C:\Windows\temp' and look for the most recently created folder with 'IE' at the beginning of it's name. E.g. 'IE1CF18.tmp'.
- Go into that folder and verify that you can see the following two .cab files; 'IE11-neutral.Downloaded.cab' and 'IE11-neutral.Extracted.cab'. If you do, then carry onto the next step. If you don't, then go back a level and try one of the other similarly named folders.
- Use that folder name to create the path for the .cab files to be installed from. E.g.: C:\Windows\temp\IE1CF18.tmp
- Now, substituting my example path with the one you determined in the last step, run an elevated Command Prompt and enter the following commands in the order listed:
- dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\temp\IE1CF18.tmp\IE11-neutral.Extracted.cab /quiet /norestart
- dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\temp\IE1CF18.tmp\IE11-neutral.Downloaded.cab /quiet /norestart
- When done, return to the 'Install Internet Explorer 11' prompt and click 'Install'. With a bit of luck it should successfully install.
- Good Luck!